30 June, 2008

On Eagles Wings



The Wedge-Tailed Eagle

It is the largest raptor in Australia and is protected. A lanky bird, wing span 2.74m, hunts by high soaring flight, circling up on thermal air currants for hundreds of meters and sailing out over the country side. Sighting prey, it sweeps down onto it in a long, slanting swoop. Generally it preys on rabbit, wallabies, small kangaroo. Nearly all prey is taken on open ground and the eagle usually feeds where they capture their feed

INTERESTING...........

Jess and I were driving to work/school this morning, singing and chatting when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see this Wedge-tailed Eagle on the side of the road starting to take off and because they are a huge bird it takes them time to get the momentum up to get up in the air. Anyway it was all too late because he just smashed into the front side of the car. Jess screamed her head off (she doesn't like birds) all I could see was this eagle looking at me through the windscreen and his wings covering the window. I braked hard and I dont think he was hurt too bad, I looked up in the rear vision mirror and I seen him reaching and landing in one of the tall trees. Thank goodness for the both of us the car was not damaged and the bird was ok.

I've seen the eagles quiet a few times now on the side of the road picking at a dead kangaroo, fox or rabbit but they usually see or hear me coming and usually get going pretty quickly. The farmers see them as pest because they take young lambs or prey on any sick or ailing sheep.

Isaiah 40:31

" but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength

They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint"

Exodus 19:4

"You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you

on eagles' wings and brought you to myself "

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Nature's clean-up crew. They sure are beautiful. I'm glad that the one you hit wasn't hurt too badly.

My husband saw a mountain lion cross the road about a mile north of us tonight. Nice, eh?

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"