14 January, 2009

Veggie Patch Update

The Veggie Patch is slowly giving us our delicious and long awaited fruit and veg. The potatoes are still growing and we are waiting with baited breath to dig into that soil for the bounty, hopefully not to be disappointed. The pumpkin still have a long way to go but I suppose all good things come to those who wait.
I put in 5kgs of organic potatoes so I'm hoping for a good return. The pumpkins I grew from seed but I think they were held back a bit by the last frost.

The climbing beans are now off and taking after a slow start. We have had a few meals with these so far with many more on the horizon.


We picked the peaches yesterday and they are so large and the juice just runs down your chin, delicious! I will be bottling some and making peach pies and maybe peach jam with the undesirables.The tomatoes just need to be ripened and we will be swamped with them. Tomato sauce, pasta sauce, sun dried tomatoes, relish and puree will be made with these beauties.
The capsicums are doing well now with the hotter weather. We will be having stuffed capsicums regularly and some will be used in pickles and relishes.

My herbs are doing really well but next season they will be set out in two large tanks in my extended veggie patch.

The shallots always do well as they self seed and give me heaps.

The corn has also done well with this heat and taken off. I cant wait to sink my teeth into a juicy
cob or two.
The spinach is always providing and hopefully takes right upto and through winter.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Up here in our hemisphere, a lot of shepherds are drooling over our green grass while they are living in a "deep freeze;" me, I'm drooling over your fresh produce! That's six months away for us....

white_lilly said...

Its amazing how we desire what we can't have. I'd love to be playing and living in snow right now with our high temperatures and because I have never seen snow. It won't be long and I'll be drooling over your greens :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's such a joy seeing all your lush greenness and growing veggies and fruit. You're going to be so busy as all those plants grow mature and heavy with produce :)

Enjoy!
~Lisa

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"