29 April, 2009

I'm knitting! & Furniture


I have been dying to start a knitting project and at last I have. I found this old knitting book in my collection I got from my mum, it is a baby jacket my grandmother made for my daughter many years ago. I thought I would make the set for my son and daughter-in-law who are expecting in november.

The book has about fourteen different crochet and knitted patterns of layette and shawls. We had our first open fire last night, the nights and mornings are starting to get a bit chilly and it was nice sitting there knitting.

I went and picked the last of the corn this morning and cherry tomatoes before the frost hits. The veggie patch is coming to an end and I have to get out there and attack those weeds and prepare the beds for my winter crop. The days are much shorter now that daylight savings has ended and my out door time has amounted to zilch any way I am pleased that my pantry and freezer is full of this years harvest.

We have been busy with the shop and have now decided to make 90% of our furniture ourselves. Below is a box bookcase and a single bed we made for a little boy who was turning two yesterday. His mum was doing his room up and he was moving up to a big boys bed, how sweet.

We also made a bedside table for him as well but I didn't get a picture of that.

This is a nice simple bed that is very solid, we thought we will do it in double and queen sizes as well and sell it at a affordable price. It is so hard these days to buy value for money. I think I will call this bed the "Stockman", what do you think?

7 comments:

Grammy said...

That is very nice. I like the name too. Congratulations on the new grand baby. It is so much fun to make things for them. Around here log beds are all the craze. They are very heavy. And beautiful. It is very rustic. I always wanted one. But maybe some day we will make one our self.

Tania said...

The furniture looks great, wish you lived closer, as I could do with some new furniture, especially the box shelf, it looks brilliant.

I have that same old knitting book and it too was handed down to me from my mum. I have not attempted any of the patterns though as I am not as talented at knitting as my mum.

Our garden has only pumpkins left with a few capsicums and silver beet. We haven't had much rain.

Tania

Michelle said...

Very nice!

white_lilly said...

Thank you Ernie! I like the sound of the log bed it would be rustic and different.I like different :)

Hi Tania, the box bookcases are really nice actually I think all the furniture we make is really really nice, you would love my shop, the smell of timber and all the knick knacks made from timber is wonderful.
Are you going to do a veggie patch for winter? I hope you get some rain up there we are looking pretty dry down here.

Hi Michelle thanks for dropping by

x0x0x0x0

Wendy said...

There is something so satisfying about making things out of wood. Your pieces really are beautiful. It must be hard to part with them! I took a cabinet-making course and made a pine chest that I keep at the end of my bed. I started to make a grandfather clock, but never finished it.

Congrats on your new grandchild-to-be! Knitting is fun, especially as the weather grows cooler. I'm sure your layette will be appreciated.

As you are harvesting, we are planting. Happy gardening!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The Stockman is a perfect name for that rugged, strong looking bed.

And those box bookshelves are great! People around here would love them for pre-schools and such to use as cubbies for individual school children's belongings. I used to have one in my mudroom at our old house. The kids kept their shoes and school books, jackets and projects in there so they could grab it quickly before leaving the house.
Your box bookshelf is really beautiful!

I can't wait to see some of your knitting projects soon. I keep forgetting that your winter is just starting, while summer is just starting here. I won't do much knitting until cold weather returns again.

~Lisa

Cheryl@Gingerbread Crafts said...

I'm so jealous - not about the new grandbaby, but about the open fire, the closest I'll get to having one is if I buy one of those fireplace dvds (got a fishtank one for Chrissy). Don't get me wrong about the Grandbaby of course I am looking forward to mine, just not soon my daughter is only 17. For the moment I contend myself with my great nieces and nephew.

The bed is beautiful, I've been trying to get my husband to build me a kingsize version just like that for years.

Think I'll have to pay your store a visit one day.

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"