03 May, 2010

Delicious Bread and Butter Pudding!


I just had the most delicious bread and butter pudding, it was out of this world, I would have taken a photo of it if I wasn't so hypnotised by its moistness or the fat juicy sultanas or the taste and smell of nutmeg hitting my senses before devouring it. I just had to pass this on because like I said it was so delicious. I had a loaf of wholemeal bread that was getting on the stale side and didn't want to pass it onto the chooks so I made a bread and butter pudding. I have made them before but this time I did not hold back with the butter, sugar, sultanas and nutmeg, let me say I just went for it and it paid off (note to self will have to run around the paddock to pay back the extras). When I cook I don't usual stick to recipes, you should give it a try and get to know your ingredients and how they work together it is liberating.




Bread and Butter Pudding




Use 8-10 slices of buttered bread (or just as many you need to fill a baking dish)

Lay a layer of bread in your dish and sprinkle with a little sugar

Now sprinkle over a lot of sultanas

Add another layer of bread, sprinkle sugar( be generous) on top, then sprinkle sultanas

Continue until you have filled your dish

In a bowl add 2-3 eggs, 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 cups of milk , 1-2 Tablespoon nutmeg

Mix and pour over bread.

You have to make sure that all the bread gets a soaking of this mixture so add more milk if you need to ( I had to)

Add a little more nutmeg if you want to (I did)

This will make your pudding moist and eggy and the sultanas plumb and juicy

Put your dish in a water bath and bake in moderate oven for about 30 - 40 mins (use a knife to poke it and if it is still runny bake for a little long until set)

Eat while hot or even better eat when cold the next day YUM!

No comments:

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"