04 January, 2014

Trying to be productive and make a living!

 It is good to be back online, life on the farm has been busy. With the weather warming up shearing has been my top priority but with only about 25 sheep to shear it has been difficult getting a shearer out here. It was actually facebook that helped me get in contact with a shearer that was able to come and shear my sheep, so after a full on day with shearing, drenching and marking lambs it was satisfying to have this job over and done with.
 
 
We are only a hobby farm but it still takes time to tend to everyone on the farm, todate I have 24 sheep, 23 lambs, 1 ram, 14 dairy and bore goats, 15 kids, 9 chickens, 2 cats, 4 dogs, 3 guinea pigs and I think that's about it.
 
 
With not working anymore I am now a full time farmer and my aim is to make this little farm to be as self sufficient as possible so the wool from the sheep will be taken to a wool buyer in town and this will pay for the shearing. I only have cross bred sheep so the wool is not of a high quality but it still brings in an income.
 
My goats are also bringing in an income, I sell my goats milk to people who are bottle feeding puppies, lambs or one lady I sell to she has miniature donkeys, they say goats milk is the best for humans and animals. I also sell off my baby boys, the wethers, as I have no need for them, my girls I plan to keep until they are old enough to be put into kid and be able to be milked, then I will sell them off as dairy goats. This is the plan at the moment so I'm hoping this will turn into a viable business.
 


4 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy New Year and much successful farming to you this year!

white_lilly said...

Thanks Michelle!

white_lilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
white_lilly said...

Thanks Michelle!

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"